Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Cheng Meng Festival, the Heavenly Spirits and Me

The early bird did wake up wide and sharp from the bed, and so, I thought of using the transition phrase, “A long ride to go” but, unfortunately, was malificented by the soothing air-con and the radio in the car and so, I ended up using the transition phrase, “A long nap to go”.



To gramp’s hometown, Prek Leap, that little town from the Pchum Ben article I wrote earlier in August, last year. This time, we're going there for Cheng Meng, a Chinese version of Pchum Ben.
The bloodline, that has created me, the ancestors, my great grandparents; well, I was 7 months old, mom said, when my great grandma passed away, I was too young to remember it, but at least, she got to see me; great grandpa passed away long time back, during the Khmer Rouge, is what binds us all for eternity.
 
Exactly like in Pchum Ben, we invited some locals, gramp’s childhood friends, the mayor and his colleague, a policeman; we offered food to our ancestors, as usual, we have the grand master of all time, Mr Chinese Barbecued Pig, fruits from ttp (Toul Tom Poung Market), some beverages and seafood.

I heard from gramps that our great grandparents liked seafood the most. Spraying water on the mountain-like graves, which we only do, once a year, with long stripes of papers in all colors that we stuck everywhere around the graves, that’s when I saw “The Kid of The Day”, a little boy with great sense of humor, gramps gave him credits for that, with some food and drinks and I hope he enjoyed it. I wished him all the best.
Lots of people I know deserve to live forever, especially gramps, but the fact that we humans cannot fight the Mother Nature, sadly, she made us with an expiration tag, we have no choice, but to accept it and deal with it with an open heart. One day, someday, sooner or later, gramps, mom and dad will leave me, no matter how much I want to deny that time and place, humans perish and that is what makes me want to sacrifice and do anything for them, create memories, the sads and happys, and then, I will eventually pass away too. Cheng Meng will be where we meet; the heavenly souls and spirits will come back down to earth and reunite as family, again. I always believe that everyone has a place in Heaven. To the family, to the bloodline, Cheng Meng stays at the top spot, we cannot deny even if we want to, it’s what makes our souls and spirits stay with together generation by generation, it’s what gives us eternity.


To Family.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Maa

Maa was the kind of person whom people will miss and still love even though she’s gone, the kind of person whom others, not just f...